Braised Pork Belly – Kong Bak
* 600g pork belly (clean and drained)
* 800 ml of water (to cook the pork belly)
Ingredients for marinating the pork belly
* 1/2 tsp mix spices powder
* 1 tbsp light soya sauce
* 1 tbsp hua diao wine
* 1 tsp sesame oil
* 5 tbsp dark soya sauce
* 1 tsp white pepper
Ingredients for Braising
* 5 tbsp Borges Extra light olive oil
* 15g rock sugar
* 3 pcs star anise
* 1 stick cinnamon
* 5 cloves of garlic (remove the skin)
* 4 shallots (chopped finely and fried till golden brown)
* 500ml of water
Ingredients to serve with the belly
* 8 hot mantou or bun
* Some fresh lettuce
Recipe by Noris Lye
Step by Step1. Prepare a pot by pour in 800ml of water, turn on flame and bring the water to boil.
2. When the water is boiling, place the pork belly into the boiling water. The pork need to submerged into the water fully, cook for 30 minutes.
3. Lifted the pork and leave it on the plate and let it turn cold slightly. Cut the belly into 1.5cm x 6cm (thick x length).
4. Mix marinating ingredients together and rub it onto all the belly slices, marinate it for half an hour.
5. Heat up a deep pot with 5 tbsp of Borges extra light olive oil, place in garlic, star anise, cinnamon stick, sauté for a few minutes, add in all the slices of pork belly and sear it well.
6. Add in 500ml of water, pour in all the marinated liquid, place in rock sugar and fried shallot, bring to boil, once boil, lower the flame and let it simmer till pork turn soft. This take about 1.5 hours. Turn the pork belly occasionally so they are evenly coated with the sauce.
7. The sauce will turn slightly thicker. If the pork has not turn soft, can add some water and continue to simmer.
8. To assemble, a steamed bun, sandwich with some lettuce, a slice of pork belly in between, pour in some sauce, and serve.